Monday, February 10, 2014

Why do we need to see your healthy pets?

Most everyone who has been in to us in recent months has met Carley, the little yellow lab who naps behind the counter. She is 13 years young and is facing growing medical concerns. Our doctors see her every day - she has her blood glucose (she is diabetic) checked at least weekly, and has had several sets of radiographs taken in the past few months.

The German Shepherd, Cassidy, who occasionally lives under the counter, was adopted by me a month ago, she is ten years old. Since I got her she has had her ears examined three times by the veterinarian with an otoscope, and had two full physical exams. She has had a dental, and had a mass removed, which we diagnosed as a sarcoma.

Ronnie, who you all know because she sits at the front desk and greets you all by name when you come in, has had her two dogs in at least six times in the past year, has had two dentals done and has run bloodwork done three times on them, as well as several radiographs.

I mention this to indicate how we in the industry treat our own pets (and none of this is free to us).


Since 2012 I have had bloodwork run on all of my dogs at least once, x-rays done on two dogs and an ultrasound done on one dog. All of my dogs receive heartworm prevention, get periodic de-wormings, and have had several applications of flea and tick protection.

I am in the profession. I am pretty competent about what things are, and have a fairly good handle on disease processes and preventive care. And I utilize veterinary care MORE than most people - not less.

Dr. Google has replaced veterinarians in many cases, but if you ask those in the profession how we find answers we default to actual diagnostics in lieu of guessing. We know the value of a physical exam and hands-on well-care.

I mention this because somehow a perception has leaked out into the world that well-care ends at vaccines and that the actual hands-on aspect of medicine has little value. Well, I for one can tell you countless stories of missed opportunities to solve issues because owners thought that something was not worth worrying about, or past history had taught them that this particular ailment was benign.

The fact that people within the industry - those who know the most and are the best educated - utilize exams and diagnostics more often, not less, than the general population - I believe - is telling. I think that nothing can replace the information received with a thorough physical exam. Nothing can replace a one-on-one conversation about pet care with your veterinarian.

I know a great deal about veterinary medicine and when my pet is sick I use all of the knowledge that years in the profession working with some of the most progressive veterinarians in the region has provided me, and I take my dogs to their veterinarian.

We recommend regular preventive care and visits for your pets because we do it for our own pets. We recommend diagnostics when necessary because we would do them for our own pets. We recommend preventive care because we want your pets live long and healthy lives, just like we wish that for our own pets.



No comments:

Post a Comment